Saturday 31 January 2009

Busses Busses Busses!

Yeah so when i got to Zitacuaro they dont do a bus to Palenque. Or Merdia. Or Cancun. Or Villahermosa. Or Cuidad Del Carmen. Standing at the bus station with my huge bag on my back starting to feel the icy grip of fear was interesting. Its strange to be at a bus station but not rwally know where you are going to go, my new tactic is to sit in front of the timetable, ignoring the shouts of the touts, and just go down the list of places and look them up in my guide book! Then if they are vaguely in the right directon I check the times and then get on! Anyway so being in Zita was worrying as it was late in the afternoon and didnt really want to be stranded there after dark, it looked like the kind of bus station you see in horror films, think Amercian Werewolf in London but bus station not Tube station and youve got the right idea. Saw that there was a bus to Morelia and got on it figuring I know that town and could find a place to crash for the night and then move out the next day. In the morning I woke up late so wandered round the town and then went to the bus station in the evening looking for night bus, didnt want to go via Mex City so went to Tampico on the East Coast (ish). 13 odd hours later and I was there, night buses are brilliant! Really comfy and mod cons all the way, Tampico is awful. Grey and boring with loads of tacky American stores. Wandered around until i found the bus station as helpfully the bus driver didnt drop us there! Got the first bus to Veracruz and had an awful journey, crap small seats didnt help the back still sore from the waves in Zihua and a fat old Mexican gut next to me took all the arm rest (something anyone who has been to the cinema with me will know i hate!) and he propmtly fell asleep! Anywho got to Veracruz and its ok. Nice Zocalo but kinda grey and I miss the sunshine of the West Coast! Should have checked my guide book as they warned about the noise from the Zocalo and the prostitutes "servicing" sailors in my hotel. Guess which of the two noises I was woken up by at 4am this morning.
Anyway have decide to head to Palenque and San Cristobal tomorrow so got another night of having my tiny TV turned up loud! Then early bus tomorrow so I can find a hostel and persuade some Yanks or Canucks to come watch the Superbowl with me! Will write again soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi jake just managing to keep up with your travels. Wendy and Wu soon wont have any South American tales to tell! We have already crossed off our 'long bus journey' story, our 'hotel renting rooms by the hour' story, closely followed by our'Magdelena valley butterfly' story. Pretty soon we can see our 'ancient ruins of a lost civilisation' story will have gone by the board. Hope you dont get to ride a grossly flatulent horse through an orange grove or we will be well and truly stuffed for old fart stories in our dotage. With love and have fun.

Anonymous said...

PS WHITE RABBITS!

TMD said...

Im not convinced that your bus trips are not simply a means of reducing you room bills... Nice mex gut for a pillow, human arm rest to support you elbows. what more could you ask for... do i read too much into your choice of hotel one with a very special early morning call and just so's not to let the 'amenities' go to waste you organise an early morning bus!

I just glad you are not sharing all of this in technicolour... Happy journeys TD